Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Wild Finds Again

If there are longer weekends just like the last 4 day-weekend i am very glad as i can roam the wild areas longer than usual. Last time the All Souls'Day followed by All Saints' Day is adjacent to the normal weekend, so i have at least 2 mornings for my wildlife escapades.

The wildlife i am referring to here is not the usual wildlife most of you refer to. Mine are  just areas untended for cultivation, fallowed or abandoned areas, with mixed tropical weeds and grasses, sometimes a few bushes and trees and sometimes these are even under coconut trees.

 Here are a few of the unusual takes that interest my lens. For me these are already wildlife.

 A group of 1st instar butterfly larvae of most probably Catopsilla pomona. There are 2 leaflets fully occupied like this. The leaf is golden shower, Cassia fistula.

A day after most of the larvae are gone, some went to other leaflets, and the rest maybe eaten by birds.

 These are the leaves on the 3rd day, the undersides leaf skin are fully devoured by the caterpillars, producing a lacey, artsy leaves. 

 Another leaflet left by the larvae, they transfered to a different leaflet, but their numbers are lesser.


 This wooly insect might be the nymp of a planthopper, but i did not see its main body.

 Another interesting wooly mealy bug, almost a centimeter in diameter. I am not sure if it really is a meally bug, as they are normally smaller than this. 

 This looks like a landscape of lichens, algae and mosses. A coconut trunk base is fully invaded by this growths. I looked for lichen moths, but i did not see any.

I often see this red fruits in our abandoned areas, or areas under coconuts. They fruit during this season. I  haven't seen birds eating them. The plant are short at around a foot tall. There are only a few leaves coming out of the ground with one or 2 bunches of fruits in a clump of green leaves. I searched, it is Tacca palmata (Dioscoreaceae).

12 comments:

  1. Also in the wild there are interesting things to spot, the point is most people ignore it or just have no eye for it. To be able to photograph so many caterpillars together on a leaf is just a lucky moment. When I see the lacey leaves I think of one of my Viburnums, in spring after flowering there always is an invasion of caterpillars which change the huge shrub in one lacey shrub, a real nuisance. The woolly insect or/and bug are exciting. I'm sure we don't have such one over here.
    Regards, Janneke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janneke (i wonder i used to call you Judy, are they the same), when i am chasing butterflies i also see a lot of so many unusual things unknown to me. At least i just know them in general terms. Yes, it is not often to see these lots of caterpillar still together in a community, because they already separated on the 3rd day and not as plenty anymore. I am glad to see them exactly at that stage. Thanks for you comments, i appreciate your visit always.

      Delete
  2. Nice interesting snippets of nature. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that larvae sure are making short use of the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Amy, they had wonderful days as the leaves are plenty.

      Delete
  4. Hi Andrea,
    I think that small abandoned areas are amongst the best places to look for wildlife these days. Certainly, in East Lothian, where we currently live the land is all agricultural or housing. Every square inch is used. There are a few abandoned quarries and ex-industrial areas where I find lots of butterflies. Down in the Borders, where we will be moving to, there is a lot more space and a lot more wild land. There the butterflies favour the wild areas that are still beautifully natural.
    That is an impressive number of caterpillars you found. I hope a good number of them see it through to adulthood. We have plenty of lichens growing on our trees in the Borders. They do form a beautiful miniature world! And your red berries remind me of those we find here on Rowan and Holly trees at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick, I am so pleased when receiving long comments like yours. I am sure you will be given such interesting finds in all your areas there. Wheen I see wonderful butterflies I think of you and my butterfly-seeking friends, wishing you see them too. I will soon have more time for all of these, starting in December.

      Delete
  5. Awesome finds! I've never seen so many caterpillars together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a well-spent long weekend. :)
    Those fruits look like rose apples, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...Lots of food for birds to pick off there...You get some great macros Andrea...Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and comments are the life of this site. I certainly appreciate them and I will make sure to return the favor. Energies are not destroyed, they are just transformed, so healthy energies be with us all, just like the breath of life!

But i am requesting that no other personal links should be put on your comments. I am sorry, but backlinks give me some problems, so i might not publish them.Thank you very much for understanding.