Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Hoya merrillii and Visitor

Hoya merrillii is a prolific hoya. Once it started blooming the umbels will produce buds as soon as they are spent. Sometimes, there are even already young buds while other buds are still blooming. However, they don't form very nicely rounded umbels like the other hoyas in my collection. In fact, the first time they flowered they look so disorganized. But they produce a lot of umbels to compensate for the unharmonious patterns of the pedicels. 

 Here is a more arranged flowers in one umbel to give you an example of my description on top.

Here are two umbels arising from the same node. They are prolific aren't they? But look at the lenght and directions of the pedicels, unrully i tell you! They also have a mild scent that maybe very attractive to the moths and insects, but for me is not top of the line. That is because i have other hoyas with sweet scents that can be made into perfumes, if the nectars are just very plenty.

 I visited them one night and look who is its nocturnal visitor, a very lovely tiger moth. It actually stayed there for a long time only changing position to seep nectar.

 I am trying to make a close-up shot to see the proboscis in action. The moth is just about 2cm in length from the head to the tip of the wings.

Here is a cropped part to show you a more vivid detail where the end of its proboscis is directed into, for sucking nectar. It was pointed to the base of the corona, in between the corona and corolla. Hmmm, they are really built for that purpose. Imagine me also trying to sip the nectar! In my case i put my finger to dab on the nectar and taste it. I have tasted many species already. Hoya nectar tastes good, although i cannot just say the differences among the species.


10 comments:

  1. What lovely shots! The flower is so glossy and pretty. The little visitor adds nice color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting plant. Never hard of it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why the Tiger Moth visits these flowers....I hope to see one in person and up close one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots! It's fun to see what happens in the garden at night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're gorgeous! I love the little visitor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are amazing macros and I love love love the colorful moth. Great detail to see the proboscis in the flower... I never thought of tasting the nectar.. Hmmm...I will have to try that.. Have a great weekend Andrea...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic macros!!! Thanks for sharing them with Todays Flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful variety of hoya, Andrea. The moth adds so much to the photos.
    Thank you for joining Floral Friday Fotos and I hope to see your next contribution soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting plant! And that moth is gorgeous! I am glad you spotted it.

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and comments are the life of this site. I certainly appreciate them and I will make sure to return the favor. Energies are not destroyed, they are just transformed, so healthy energies be with us all, just like the breath of life!

But i am requesting that no other personal links should be put on your comments. I am sorry, but backlinks give me some problems, so i might not publish them.Thank you very much for understanding.