Thursday, November 15, 2018

November Blooms

I am maybe biased to flowers that cater to butterflies. That is my disclaimer because most of the plants you will see in this post are nectar plants, loved by butterflies, which in turn i love too!

 
 Asystasia intrusa can be invasive, but i always have them for, of course you know what! But if isolated in numbers in plates like the above, they can be beautiful too.

 Pentas lanceolata are favored by the Scarlet Mormon. They favor those in umbels because they will not leave the area for another flower, just insert their proboscis in the next flower within the umbel. Butterflies know energy conservation too.

another Pentas lanceolata color form, favored by the tigers

 This hippeastrum is the only species that bloom more than once a year. In fact this is its 4th bloom. When under the net protection it produced 6 flowers in one scape. 

 This is my first time to see the flowers of Curcuma longa or turmeric.  Actually, above are the bracts, the flowers already gone. Those almost rotten debris at the axils of the bracts are the decomposing flowers.

top view of the Curcuma longa bracts

 This is only a leaf, but it is as lovely as a bloom. It is one of the colorful caladiums. 

Hoya pubicalyx 'Black Dragon' syn. Hoya pubicorolla

 My Garden Bloggers Blooms post is not complete without the hoyas. They are the special flowers in my garden with their own enclosure and get more attention from me and my sister at home. I just go home on weekends and i only do some jobs and taking their pictures. I confess my bias is fully with them together with butterflies!

 Hoya alwitriana starting to open. This is one of the very few hoyas that blooms in the morning, most of them opens in the late afternoon.

 Hoya pubicalyx

 Hoya odorata

Hoya bifunda ssp. integra

Hoya nakarensis


13 comments:

  1. I am with you on planting for pollinators, and in particular butterflies! Your photos of the flowers are beautiful, as always. And the Caladium with the raindrops is gorgeous, too. I like to plant Pentas in my garden sometimes, too, although here they are annuals because they don't survive our winters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Beth, those words mean a big difference for me because they came from you, a good writer and photographer. I am trying to produce more Pentas but they don't fare well in our dry season especially with our dwindling water sources.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful blooms! Love the Hippeastrum - gorgeous! Pretty Caladium leaf, too!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blooms. Seeing how warm it is makes me feel a little better here in freezing SW Indiana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely shots of Flowers,Loved the capture of Caladium beauty.
    Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty flowers. And you seem to know a lot about them. :)
    Hope you are having a good week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your hoyas! Such pretty flowers. I didn't plant any pentas for the butterflies this year, but they are on my list for next year. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I have to agree that flowers that are attractive to butterflies are the ones to have!!! Actually, when you look at them carefully they are every bit as nice as the fancy cultivated flowers. It is lovely looking at your tropical flowers. Most of the plants here have died back and need clearing up. The leaves have fallen from most of the trees, too, so everything looks very different. Our new home in the Borders is in the middle of a woodland and it is amazing how much more we can see there now that the leaves have dropped from the trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Nick that is the picture i feel sad about, living things going into hibernation. But in another perspective it is extremely beautiful for people like us who doesn't experience it. I am waiting for your blog posts both in the farm and in the butterfly blogs. Thanks always for the inspiring and kind comments. Comments make this blog's life.

      Delete
  8. I love the butterflies too! Trying to get more of them with the flowers I plant. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Shelly, thanks for your visit. Your link on G+ doesn't lead to your blogposts, i wonder why!

      Delete
  9. Your flower selections are so delicate … a delight for the eyes, especially eyes that won't see flowers for many a month now that winter is upon us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Angie, so for the time being that you are in the cold, keep coming over to my posts to let your soul soar with flowers and greens! hahaha

      Delete

Your visits and comments are the life of this site. I certainly appreciate them and I will make sure to return the favor. Energies are not destroyed, they are just transformed, so healthy energies be with us all, just like the breath of life!

But i am requesting that no other personal links should be put on your comments. I am sorry, but backlinks give me some problems, so i might not publish them.Thank you very much for understanding.