Monday, September 25, 2017

Butterfly Shots Overflowing

Since I indulged in butterfly watching and photography i accumulated lots and lots of files on them. The better part is that i am only home on some weekends, and some of the time i still spend on my hoyas. I wrote it to sound like i am not happy with the butterfly photos! I am happy with photographing butterflies, but accumulating not so nice photos is different. The problem with me is that i can not just delete some shots which i anyway can not even post on FB or on blog. They are not decent shots, but i can't just part with them, clicking the delete button seems so difficult. And my external drives fill-up so fast just because of those insects and butterflies. When i look at those i want to post, it gets so difficult to choose. Hahaha, that is the confession of a not so good butterfly photographer!

Our area in the province is a bit hot for butterfly photography. And these butterflies do not appear in our garden in the early morning when they are just basking to dry their wings. I tried going out in the field to find them, but only a few are out early morning. I guess they are still hiding in non-accessible areas and just go out when they are ready to nectar or to find their mates. That time they are already very flighty, which fatigued my camera to the fullest. Can you imagine now the rate my drives get filled up? I told you so, i am a hoarder too, of bad photos.

What follows are just some of the few decent shots i culled from them, cropped mainly. They are all taken on Sept 3-4, 2017.

DARK BLUE TIGER, Tirumala hamata orientalis  Semper 1879
Nymphalidae; Danainae; Danaini


COMMON SNOW FLAT, Tagiades japetus titus 
Hesperiidae, Pyrginae, Tagiadin

DWARF CROW OR SMALL BROWN CROW,  Euploea tulliolus pollita Erihson 1834 Nymphalidae; Danainae; Euploeini

  GREY GLASSY TIGER, Euploea tulliolus pollita Erihson 1834
Nymphalidae; Danainae; Danaini

 COMMON LIME, Papilio demoleus demoleus
(Butterfly With Disability, BWD)

COMMON MORMON, Menelaides polytes ledebouria (male) 
Papilionidae, Papilioninae, Papilionini  

COMMON MORMON, Menelaides polytes ledebouria (female) 
Papilionidae, Papilioninae, Papilionini  

SAILER, Lasippa illigera illigera Escholtz 1821 
Nymphalidae; Nymphalinae; Limenitidini

TYPICAL SAILER, Neptis mindorana ilocana C. & R. Felder 1863 
Nymphalidae; Nymphalinae; Limenitidini

 TYPICAL SAILER, Neptis mindorana ilocana C. & R. Felder 1863 
Nymphalidae; Nymphalinae; Limenitidini

 THREE-SPOT GRASS YELLOW, Eurema blanda visellia Fruhstorfer 1910
 Pieridae; Coliadinae

BUSHBROWN, Mycalesis igoleta igoleta C. & R. Felder 1863
Nymphalidae; Satyrinae

SCARLET MORMON, Menelaides deiphobus rumanzovia  Eschscholtz 1821 
Papilionidae; Papilioninae; Papilionini


GREAT EGGFLY, Hypolimnas bolina philippensis  ♀ Butler 1874
Nymphalidae; Nymphalinae; Nymphaliini

GREAT EGGFLY, Hypolimnas bolina philippensis ♂ Butler 1874
Nymphalidae; Nymphalinae; Nymphaliini

LEMON EMIGRANT, Catopsila pomona pomona ♂ form hilaria Fabricius 1775
Pieridae; Coliadinae

What follows are some of the better photos from the plenty of shots i am telling you about. These are cropped, but most of those left in my drives are not croppable. An instance is that after properly focusing, it suddenly leaps when you press the shutter. You are then left with a blurred photo or a twisted butterfly which does not sometimes resemble one! They are a bit funny, yet i really cannot fully delete them. 

 a crow, a common mormon and a lemon emigrant

 a common mormon which almost reaches the ceiling when flying

 an eggfly, a common mormon and a blurred skipper at the middle

 both common mormons

Following are examples of what i am telling you, i have a lot of these shots that cramped my files, yet i still cannot delete them.



Because it is too far, you cannot even see where the butterfly is, yet it will not be nice when cropped! So do you suggest that i delete all of the last 3 photos? 



26 comments:

  1. Wow! The scarlet Mormon is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just jealous on the variety of beautiful butterflies you have. The Great Eggfly, the Scarlet Mormon and the Dark Blue Tiger are wonderful, but also the others. Haha, a hoarder of butterfly photos, well I also have problems to delete photos. At least I should keep the middle one of the three last photos, because these flowers are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha hi Judy. I am laughing at your comment, i know most photo-hobbyists have the same problem with me. At least i only do photographing them on weekends, or else i might end up with piles and piles of external drives! I have a butterfly hobbyist in Scotland and he always comment also on my FB butterfly posts, especially while they have winter.

      Delete
  3. Hello, I enjoyed all your butterflies and lovely photos. You captured them beautifully. I have been trying to delete a lot of my files, my external drives are getting crowded. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes i am sure you also have the same problems like me, you are also doing lots of birds and travel photos. I always want to do deleting, but seems always need more time. Thanks for your kind words about my photos.

      Delete
  4. Those are glorious photos! I know what you mean about the large quantities of photos and deciding which ones to use. Usually our daytime temperatures are quite pleasant and great for photography, but lately we've been having record heat for this time of year so it's not as pleasant. You have an amazing diversity of butterfly species, and they're all stunningly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, yes we do have moderate number of species in my area. At the moment i already have photographed 57 species and there still are a few which i didn't include because i still haven't taken their photos. Thanks for always coming here!

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness such beautiful butterfly photos Andrea! And such beautiful flowers too. Coming over from nature notes and wishing you a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by too, Wen Green, i do hope you visit again.

      Delete
  6. You certainly have viewed a lot of butterflies in your lifetime. And the photographs are excellent. I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks so much for your kind words, that certainly is inspiring coming from you! Thanks always for dropping by.

      Delete
  7. Oh so happy to see butterflies as we head into fall here and there won't be anymore. I know it's hard to get photos as they are always on the move Andrea...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Michelle, they are more difficult here in the hot tropics. In our colder temps in the highlands of the Cordilleras they are so slow, you can even let them alight on your hands. My friend says they have difficulty to fly because of their heavy jackets, as it is cold there.

      Delete
  8. These are amazing shots. My favorites are the Dark Blue Tiger and the Scarlet Mormon. I was also impressed that you included the Butterfly with Disability - well done. And to that point, I think you should keep your photos - sometimes the failed ones are also beautiful or show the context for the close-up shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie, i am always thinking that the unused photos will have some use some day, though i don't know when that day comes.

      Delete
  9. I have the same problem! When visiting the London Zoo I took a whole bunch of photos while sitting there in the butterfly habitat but never got a really clear shot. But, like you, I kept most of them (I did delete some). You have some simply gorgeous shots of these beautiful butterflies - well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha maybe it is a common characteristics for us, photo hoarding. Thanks for your kind words

      Delete
  10. How wonderful to have these beauties around! I have only seen a few of them in a butterfly house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most butterflies are tropical, but i am sure you also have them there too because even UK and Scotland have a lot.

      Delete
  11. Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada! Your photos are absolutely stunning! Thank you so much for sharing all this beauty! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I wonder what your warm temperature is because our 25C is already colder as we are normally above 30C, hahaha!

      Delete
  12. Hi Andrea,
    Now that I go on facebook more often I don't have so much time to go on my blog!! I am going to make more of an effort to post on my blog, though!!
    I, too, have loads of blurred pictures of butterflies. I used to keep many of them but more recently I have been a bit better at deleting those I don't need. I usually take several pictures of the same butterfly and then delete most of the pictures, keeping the best one or two. With more common butterflies that I see in Scotland I delete maybe 80% of what I take. However, when I go on holiday and take pictures of butterflies that I am not familiar with I tend to keep 80%, particularly when I am not sure of their identity.
    I would certainly keep all of the pictures you have shown here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha i am happy that many of my blogger friends who read this post at least realized they are photo hoarders or not, so do something about it. I want to do what you did, but when i am looking at the photos it certainly is very difficult to decide which to delete and which to keep if they are almost of the same quality. But if i have more time, i will also be able to let go most of them. Thanks.

      Delete

Your visits and comments are the life of this site. I certainly appreciate them and I will make sure to return the favor. Energies are not destroyed, they are just transformed, so healthy energies be with us all, just like the breath of life!

But i am requesting that no other personal links should be put on your comments. I am sorry, but backlinks give me some problems, so i might not publish them.Thank you very much for understanding.