Thursday, June 21, 2012

Oxygen Generators Join Friday Flowers

The rainy season just started, the plants are so grateful and relieved of their torture!  All of them in the big city already show the  lush growths, and the roadsides and highways are again carpeted with green grass. However, our area in the province has not yet fully experienced the big downpour. Only a few drizzles, cloudy skies and some faster air currents are coming in. In these parts of the world, rains don't normally come without the accompanying typhoons and gusty winds. So we are grateful for the news that there are low pressure areas, inter-tropical convergent zones (ITCZ) , or incoming typhoons. We just sometimes ignore the bad connotations of typhoons in the past; landslides, floods, sinking boats and fishermen, and just hope the effects will not be bad this time because we want the rains. Not only our domestic gardens want them, our agricultural fields badly need them, because our population rate is still soaring!

OMG, i don't want my consciousness to deal with those  circumstances. I am trying to focus on our plants, bad visuals, erase, erase! Flowers, flowers, where are you, i have difficulty locating you this time of the year!

this view will convince you that we need rain, to stop this torture

 These Sanseviera and Marantha are under the trees so stay green and unscorched. It flowers at the end of the dry season, just before the rains come.

 No matter how dry the soil and air was, this Pachystachys lutea still adorns the side of our property. Below this is already the community road, and this is a perennial sight. I just cut them completely once they get so tall and unruly.
 The flush or young shoots on mangoes look like flowers too because of their color. I always love looking at those colorful canopies during the dry season. These are the leaves ready for food manufacture to support fruits next year.

 Of course, Heliconia rostrata will not disappoint any gardener. These loud colors will stay there for about 3 months before turning brown. I cut the spent stems to the ground level to allow new suckers to grow faster. Butterflies and insects love these too.

 The red ones are not the flowers, those protrusions at the tips color yellow are the flowers. You can see that some flowers are already brown while others still in bloom. I dissected them once and found lots of sticky substances there, which could be the nectar sucked by sunbirds and butterflies.

 Bougainvilleas are perennially showing their colors too. These are the colorful bracts and the flowers are very small and yellow. When water is withdrawn for sometime till they get very thirsty looking, as in their leaves start to wilt, watering this time will produce lots of colors and blooms. 

 Thornless, scentless roses also try to bloom even with little watering. This variety is disease and pest resistant. I can forego the scent as long as it flowers.

 This almost dying Dendrobium produced a very special single bloom. 

 Duranta erecta even with very few flowers don't disappoint bees, bumble bees and butterflies. I will cut the branches to promote new growths, as soon as the heavy rains come.

 Ripe fruits of Dracaena furculosa provides good colors too, this time of lack.

And of course, fruits like this coffee give a very lovely picture of abundance! This is ready for picking.

Copy this image and its link to place on your blog


ff


28 comments:

  1. I never thought of coffee plant can look so beautiful. I wonder whether I can grow them in my garden.
    How well does your plant grow - can they grow in container or does it really require a lot of space?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, James if you will only see the branches so laden with fruits, the more you will love it. However, i cannot see my photo which i took last year. I am always planning to make a post solely for coffee from flowering, but i can't seem to see all the photos taken at different times.

      It will surely grow in containers, but i doubt if it will fruit as coffee is a tree or at least a bush. Your area there is conducive to coffee growth because you have colder temps than ours. I will again tell you, buy that adjacent lot so will have more space. In that cramped area, coffee will have no place.

      Delete
  2. Love all the shots, especially the Bougainvilleas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks so lush and dramatic. I especially am intrigued by the Heliconia rostrata. Those flower cascades are stunning. I am trying to imagine a tree full of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy and Steve, thanks for the appreciation. Yes they are and you should see most of them flowering at the same time, which stays there for ~3months! Here is the link in my other blog: http://www.abagillon.blogspot.com/2012/03/heliconia-rostrata.html

      Delete
  4. Oh coffee...how cool and again I just love these exotic flowers...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We grow lots of the same flowers here in Australia in summer. Not many are flowering at the moment though I think there may be some golden candles on our Pachystachys lutea. You are right. No matter what, it keeps blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow the plants look so nice despite the lack of rain. The colour in the Bird of Paradise is really special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much amazing color.... beautiful plants... I especially like the crown of thorns... beautiful! Larry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating information, wonderful pictures. Thanks for sharing and thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You managed to find lots of wonderful blooms. Of course, so many of them are very familiar to me as they grow so well here too. Love the Pachystachys display and those fabulous Heliconia blooms. I hope your province gets a little more of the heavy rain soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrea,

    What wonderful blooms. I particularly like the heliconia. They are fabulous. One of my favorite plants is bouganvilla, and I am rather sad that I can't grow them here except in pots which go indoors in winter. Here is hoping for rain for you.

    Yael

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pictures you show. Wishing you a good weekend. Hanne Bente / hbt.finus.dk

    ReplyDelete
  12. cofee beans. Reminds me that I have pics of flowers somewhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have such pretty exotic flowers to show today. The orchid is so pretty even in decline.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can't imagine how envious I am of your heliconia. I'm crazy about that flower, it's strength and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh if only you can grow it where you are! I can provide you tons of suckers! hahaha! If they are allowed to fully grow here, they will become a colonizer.

      Delete
  15. Fantastic and interesting series!

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely selection of flowers and berries. i was just watching tv patrol and i've seen the aftermath of the storm. did it not reach the province. i've seen navotas being flooded - what's new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Photo Cache, it is incredible that Metro Manila already rains every afternoon, but the Southern Tagalog area is still like the dry season. One moderate rain in May allowed grasses to grow, but not all plants are happy, and the people are not happy too. They cannot plant crops yet even if June is ending.

      Delete
  17. gorgeous heliconia. 3 months? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are gearing for drier and hazy days ahead. Hopefully the flower bloom better.

    My dear Kalantikan, I have an award for your, visit here to find out more:
    http://www.mynicegarden.com/2012/06/versatile-blogger-award-on-my-3rd-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it funny in the post you had a hard time finding flowers to photograph. Your area is blessed. I still think, like I said in my previous comment, you have some pretty exotics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha Donna, finding flowers to photograph is easy, as long as you will not take wide angle shots. If you will look at the totality of it all, it is depressing! Those in the photos are just survivors, and they are even looking better when rain is enough.

      Delete
  20. Wonderful post with lovely photos!

    Thank you for participating in Floral Friday Fotos!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am just so happy to see that you have linked in this week...and to have the chance to visit here today!! I thank you so much for linking in and sharing your post with my party today!
    I have shared your post this week with the Tootsie Time Facebook page.
    Have a wonderful week...what is left of it! lol
    I am also a new follower!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and comments are the life of this site. I certainly appreciate them and I will make sure to return the favor. Energies are not destroyed, they are just transformed, so healthy energies be with us all, just like the breath of life!

But i am requesting that no other personal links should be put on your comments. I am sorry, but backlinks give me some problems, so i might not publish them.Thank you very much for understanding.